Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities. ~Edyth O’Neill

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Fine Needlework

The small textiles made for dolls and children are a large part of my fascination  with old dolls.  The beautiful Handwork is a joy to examine. I purchased the baby's chemise for this large doll to wear, but she is disappointed that one of her slightly smaller sisters will get to wear it.  The top and sleeves are trimmed with tiny points made with a strip of fabric turned back and forth and stitched down.  My friend Rachael Kinnison says "~ the little Van Dyke points were quite popular thru the first half 19th c and well into the 1860s even."   Rachael's beautiful blog is  http://ladysrepositorymuseum.blogspot.com

I have pictured the chemise here on the large papier mache head doll it was a bit snug for. 




 
Another charming example of the little points is shown on a tiny apron, just 4 1/2 inches long over all!  This is an incredible little apron made with hours of handwork for a tiny doll.  Both the large china head doll and the tiny one in her lap are called by Doll collectors "Sophia Smith" for the hair style.   e

Blog Archive

Visits