Welcome to My Red Cape. Long ago in another time my husband Jack and I lived in a little old red house. It was the stuff of dreams to us for the few years that we were there. I live there still a number of hours every day in imagination, with old dolls and paintings and fabrics and feather trees. I draw inspiration and happiness from the memories of that space in time and share some of it here with friends who remember how to step with Alice through the looking glass and take delight in whimsies and antiquities. ~Edyth O’Neill

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Once, twice, sold!

There was a nice local auction yesterday, and I previewed it the day before and went yesterday prepared to win a few things.  With my notebook and my checkbook and having studied prices on line, I felt loaded for bear!

The auction goods were from the estate of lifelong collectors and included many things I have never seen before or at least not focused on in all our time of chasing antique Americana.  One such was a pair of hand crocheted Horse bonnets.  These affairs were mesh like with tassels and soft pompoms just over the horses' eyes and worn to keep flies away from the ears and eyes.  The bonnets covered just the top third or so of a horse's head.   I hope these will end up in a museum somewhere.

The furniture offerings included a good bit of Federal style, but also pieces more to my taste like a nice Q A chest on frame, a drop front desk and a lovely tall case clock. All brought appropriate prices from a crowded hall.  Texas History books were enthusiastically bid up and out of sight!  I bid on none of the above, saving my funds for the things I intended to purchase.

There was a great Heriz I wanted for the living room, but my offering of 2100 was left behind in the dust. And it went to a prominent dealer who should double on it.

 There was an old Santa Clause German Candy container much distressed and 32 inches tall!  I wanted that but was under bidder on it.

There was a dear little basket I suspect is shaker, but Virginia was not there to assure me so I dropped out at 310. It was a finely woven lidded very shapey  darling about 5 inches tall including the handle. There was a note inside of it's ownership and family connection dating it long back,  but the basket wore it's provenance well enough in the nut brown coloring of the incredibly fine splint without a flaw that I could see.

So I bid bravely but not well enough to win anything at all till the very end with about 20 shallow boxes of Christmas ornaments.  Let me warn you the cost of old Christmas is still going right on up!  I brought home just a sweet mellowed old garland of  inch long glass beads, like little ornaments but having a hole on each end to string them through.  This strand is still over 6 feet long after I removed the many broken glass balls.   I have had these garlands before over the years and sold them, some with fancier indents and such. I am glad to have this one to keep and enjoy. It is a nice older one with a few of the balls having the crinkled wire like my earlier ornaments. It will remind me of a nice day at the auction here among many friends having a great time.  E

Blog Archive

Visits